This curriculum is designed to prepare individuals to assist veterinarians in preparing animals, equipment, and medications for examination and surgery; collecting specimens; performing laboratory, radiographic, anesthetic, dental procedures; assisting in surgery; and providing proper husbandry of animals and their environment.
What you'll learn
Course work includes instruction in veterinary anatomy, nutrition, parasitology, pathology, physiology, radiology, terminology, zoology, office practices, laboratory techniques, dentistry, and small and large animal clinical practices.
Graduates of accredited programs may be eligible to take state and national examinations administered by the North Carolina Veterinary Medical Board. Graduates may be employed in veterinary clinics; diagnostic, research, or pharmaceutical laboratories; zoos; academic institutions; or other areas associated with animal care.
Only letter grades of “C” or higher in non-VET prefix courses and VET courses with a grade of “B” or higher will count toward completion of the Veterinary Medical Technology (VMT) degree.
For detailed information about the program, please contact Health Sciences Advising.
Major Core Courses
- VET 110 Animal Breeds & Husbandry
- VET 120 Vet Anatomy & Physiology
- VET 121 Veterinary Medical Terminology
- VET 123 Veterinary Parasitology
- VET 125 Veterinary Diseases I
- VET 126 Veterinary Diseases II
- VET 131 Veterinary Laboratory Tech I
- VET 133 Veterinary Clinical Practice I
- VET 137 Veterinary Office Practices
- VET 211 Veterinary Laboratory Tech II
- VET 212 Veterinary Laboratory Tech III
- VET 213 Veterinary Clinical Practice II
- VET 214 Veterinary Clinical Practice III
- VET 215 Veterinary Pharmacology
- VET 217 Large Animal Clinical Practice
- VET 237 Animal Nutrition
- WBL 112 Work-Based Learning I
Other Major Courses
- ENG 110 Freshman Composition or ENG 111 Writing and Inquiry
- COM Elective (110, 120 or 231)
- HUM/FA Humanities/Fine Arts Elective
- MAT 171 Precalculus Algebra
- PSY 150 General Psychology
Other Required Courses
- ACA 122 University Transfer Success
HUM/FA Elective (Select 1 course)
ART 111, ART 114, ART 115, DRA 111, ENG 231, ENG 232, ENG 233, ENG 241, ENG 242, ENG 261, ENG 262, HUM 110, HUM 115, HUM 120, HUM 130, HUM 150, HUM 160, HUM 180, HUM 211, HUM 212, MUS 110, MUS 112, PHI 215, PHI 220, PHI 230, PHI 240, REL 110, REL 211, REL 212