The Associate in Arts in Teacher Preparation degree shall be granted for a planned program of study consisting of a minimum of 60 semester hours of credit (SHC) of university transfer courses. Within the degree program, the institution shall include opportunities for the achievement of competence in reading, writing, oral communication, fundamental mathematical skills, and basic computer use.
Community college graduates must obtain a grade of “C” or better in each course and an overall GPA of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale in order to transfer with a junior status. Courses may also transfer through bilateral agreements between institutions.
The Uniform Articulation Agreement in Teacher Preparation between the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) and the University of North Carolina (UNC) System is intended to provide smooth transfer for community college students who wish to continue their education in teacher preparation at constituent institutions of the University of North Carolina System.
The Uniform Articulation Agreement in Teacher Preparation between the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) and the Signatory Institutions of North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities (NCICU) is intended to provide smooth transfer for community college students who wish to continue their education in teacher preparation at an NCICU Signatory Institution.
Partnership Teach provides opportunities for students to complete bachelor’s degrees in Elementary Education, Special Education, and Middle Grades Education at Nash Community College. Students take specific courses from the university transfer program before transferring to East Carolina University as juniors. Junior and senior level coursework from ECU is offered through online enrollment with personal advising. Contact the Advising & Success Center for more information.
GENERAL EDUCATION (45 SHC)
English Composition (6 SHC)
Humanities/Fine Arts (9 SHC)
- ART 111 Art Appreciation
- ART 114 Art History Survey I
- ART 115 Art History Survey II
- COM 120 Introduction to Interpersonal
- COM 231 Public Speaking
- DRA 111 Theatre Appreciation
- ENG 231 American Literature I
- ENG 232 American Literature II
- ENG 241 British Literature I
- ENG 242 British Literature II
- MUS 110 Music Appreciation
- MUS 112 Introduction to Jazz
- PHI 215 Philosophical Issues
- PHI 240 Introduction to Ethics
Social/Behavioral Sciences (6 SHC)
- ECO 251 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECO 252 Principles of Macroeconomics
- HIS 111 World Civilizations I
- HIS 112 World Civilizations II
- HIS 131 American History I
- HIS 132 American History II
- POL 120 American Government
- PSY 150 General Psychology
- SOC 210 Introduction to Sociology
Mathematics (3-4 SHC)
Natural Sciences (4 SHC)
- AST 111 Descriptive Astronomy and AST 111A Descriptive Astronomy Lab
- AST 151 General Astronomy I and AST 151A General Astronomy Lab I
- BIO 110 Principles of Biology
- BIO 111 General Biology I
- CHM 151 General Chemistry I
- GEL 111 Introductory Geology
- PHY 110 Conceptual Physics and PHY 110A Conceptual Physics Lab
ADDITIONAL GENERAL EDUCATION HOURS (17-18 SHC)
Other Required General Education (3 SHC)
- SOC 225 Social Diversity
An additional 14-15 SHC of courses should be selected from courses classified as general education within the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement. Students should select these courses based on their intended major and transfer university. Students must meet the receiving university’s foreign language and/or health and physical education requirements, if applicable, prior to or after transfer to the senior institution.
Total General Education Hours Required 45
OTHER REQUIRED HOURS (15 SHC)
Academic Transition (1 SHC)
- ACA 122 University Transfer Success
Education (14 SHC)
- EDU 187 Teaching and Learning for All*
- EDU 216 Foundations of Education
- EDU 279 Literacy Development and Instruction
- EDU 250 Teacher Licensure Preparation
*Students who have completed Teacher Cadet or Teaching as a Profession courses in high school with a B or better may substitute that course for EDU 187 Teaching and Learning for All. High school faculty must meet transfer level qualifications as established by SACSCOC or other accrediting body.
*One semester hour of credit may be included in a 61 SHC associate in arts program of study. The transfer of this hour is not guaranteed.