The Biotechnology curriculum, which has emerged from molecular biology and chemical engineering, is designed to meet the increasing demands for skilled laboratory technicians in various fields of biological and chemical technology.
What You'll Learn
Course work emphasizes biology, chemistry, mathematics, and technical communications. The curriculum objectives are designed to prepare graduates to serve in three distinct capacities: research assistant to a biologist or chemist; laboratory technician/instrumentation technician; and quality control/quality assurance technician.
Graduates may find employment in various areas of industry and government, including research and development, manufacturing, sales, and customer service.
Major Core Courses
- BIO 111 General Biology I
- BIO 112 General Biology II
- Chemistry Elective I
- Chemistry Elective II
- *BTC 150 Bioethics
- *BTC 181 Basic Lab Techniques
General Education Courses
- ENG 111 Writing and Inquiry
- ENG 112 Argument-Based Research
- Math Elective
- Humanities/Fine Arts Core Elect.
- Social/Beh. Sciences Elective
- Genetics Elective
- *BTC 285 Cell Culture
- MAT 152 Statistical Methods I
- CIS 110 Introduction to Computers
- ACA 122 University Transfer Success
*Courses with an asterisk (*) are not offered at Nash Community College and must be taken at Pitt CC.