The Medical Sonography curriculum provides knowledge and clinical skills in the application of high frequency sound waves to image internal body structures.
What You'll Learn
Coursework includes physics, cross-sectional anatomy, and abdominal, introductory vascular and obstetrical/gynecological sonography. Competencies are attained in identification of normal anatomy and pathological processes, use of equipment, observation of fetal growth and development, integration of related imaging, and demonstration of patient interaction skills.
Graduates of accredited programs may be eligible to take examinations in ultrasound physics and instrumentation and specialty examinations administered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers and find employment in clinics, physicians’ offices, mobile services, hospitals, and educational institutions.
This program has special admissions requirements. These requirements are in addition to those completed for the College. Please visit www.pittcc.edu to review the requirements (click on Health Sciences > Admissions). Students must apply and be formally admitted to the program to take SON courses.
Degree granted from Pitt Community College.
Major Core Courses
- *SON 110 Introduction to Sonography
- *SON 111 Sonographic Physics
- *SON 120 SON Clinical Education I
- *SON 121 SON Clinical Education II
- *SON 130 Abdominal Sonography I
- *SON 131 Abdominal Sonography II
- *SON 140 Gynecologic Sonography
- *SON 220 SON Clinical Education III
- *SON 221 SON Clinical Education IV
- *SON 222 Selected SON Clinical Ed
- *SON 225 Case Studies
- *SON 241 Obstetrical Sonography I
- *SON 242 Obstetrical Sonography II
- *SON 250 Vascular Sonography
- *SON 289 Sonographic Topics
- BIO 163 Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- ENG 111 Writing and Inquiry
- ENG 112 Argument-Based Research
- PHY 110 Conceptual Physics
- Humanities Elective
- MAT 121 Algebra/Trigonometry
- PSY 150 General Psychology
- HUM 115 or PHI 240
Other Required Courses
- *ACA 111 College Student Success or ACA 122 University Transfer Success